Luke Smith, Destiny 2’s game director, says that there are multiple layers of storytelling in Destiny 2, and that importantly, it will be easy for the player to follow:
Smith goes onto say that the main narrative of the game tells the story of the Red War. It’s what has been shown in the trailers so far and sets up the tale of the Cabal, led by Dominus Ghaul, taking the Last City and stripping the Guardians of their Light and powers.
Aside and in addition to the story of the Red War, Smith says that players will experience story in new ways, like referring to activities Bungie has discussed before, such as Adventures and Lost Sectors:
It’s all going to create a more “cohesive campaign” according to Smith, who also says that he hopes new players to the franchise—which Bungie and Activision are hoping for, especially with the addition of a PC version—will enjoy and notice the difference in how Bungie is now approaching narrative in Destiny.
Destiny 2 appears to be following in line with The Taken King, which righted the ship, so to speak, by adding a strong villain and story that Destiny had very much lacked up until that point. It feels familiar, and probably should considering that Smith and the leadership team of Destiny 2 were the ones behind The Taken King as well.
While vanilla Destiny players had to piece together the narrative by reading the lore found in the Grimoire cards accessed outside of the game, Destiny 2 looks to be trying to put as much storytelling straight into the game. Whether or not that narrative will be worth following, however, is yet to be determined.
Destiny 2 launches September 6 on PS4 and Xbox One, with an October 24 release on PC.
Source: Gamesradar